Ways to Prevent Periodontal Disease When Dealing with Diabetes
Gum disease can affect anyone at any time, but it is especially dangerous for people with diabetes. In addition to periodontal disease making blood sugar spike, dealing with diabetes increases the risk of developing this dental problem in the first place. Try these tips to avoid gingivitis and periodontitis, and stay healthy from head to toe.
Periodontal disease often first appears as the mild gum inflammation of gingivitis, but it can quickly worsen into the more painful problem of periodontitis. To avoid experiencing any of this dental discomfort, follow these healthy tips:
- Be aware of soreness or redness in the gums.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Be sure that the floss presses against the teeth instead of the gums.
- Maintain blood sugar levels within your target range.
Your health is your highest priority. And if you’re dealing with diabetes, it’s important to avoid any dangers associated with periodontal disease. Follow these safety strategies:
- Make an appointment with your dentist immediately if you see signs of a possible problem.
- Postpone dental surgery if your blood sugar levels exceed your target range because your body is at a greater risk of developing an infection post-procedure.
Healthy home hygiene can only help so much. To reduce your risk of periodontitis and spot early signs of gingivitis:
- Schedule cleanings and check-ups with your dentist in every six months.
Remind your dentist that you have the diabetes because numerous dental procedures can have an impact on blood sugar levels. Remember that diabetes demands special precautions
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Crown Point, call Wadas Dental of Crown Point today at (219) 488-2610 or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental of Crown Point offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Crown Point. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental of Crown Point, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental of Crown Point.