The Real Risk of Gum Disease in Kids
Adults aren’t the only ones who run the risk of gum disease. It can also strike children and teens, so discover how to protect your child’s smile through the years.
The Facts and Factors of Kids Periodontal Disease
Cavities aren’t the only problem that can affect a child’s dental health. Periodontal disease also poses a risk for children and teens. The mildest and most common form of periodontal disease is simply called gum disease. If a case becomes chronic and doesn’t receive treatment, it can become the more severe form, known as periodontal disease. Certain factors can greatly increase the risk of gum disease in kids, including:
- Improper dental hygiene
- Fluctuating hormones, especially during the teen years
- Some medications
- Certain diseases, such as diabetes, autoimmune diseases, and cancer
Signs to Spot the Dental Danger
Gum disease affects people differently, but most people will see and feel signs that are cause for concern. Fortunately, the condition can be prevented with regular dental care, yet is also easy to treat if it’s caught at an early stage. If your child experiences any of these warning signs of gum disease in kids, take them to your family dentist immediately to get them the treatment they need. Check for the following symptoms:
- Swollen, sore red gums
- Gums that bleed, particularly during brushing and flossing
- Receded gums
- Ongoing bad breath
- Significant bone loss
Preventative Pointers for Parents
As parents, you don’t want your child to suffer, so you need to be attentive to the health of their teeth and gums. Follow these simple tips to keep your child’s smile healthy:
- Take very good care of your child’s teeth.
- If gum disease runs in your family, be especially pro-active about preventing kids periodontal disease.
- Continually talk to your family dentist about the best dental care for your child.
- Establish healthy dental habits at an early age, and then make sure your child maintains those habits with age.
- Check that your child brushes and flosses daily.
- Take your child to your family dentist for regular dental checkups and cleanings.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Crown Point, call Wadas Dental of Crown Point today at (219) 488-2610 or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental of Crown Point offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Crown Point. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental of Crown Point, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental of Crown Point.